Coronavirus: Your phone can carry the virus for up to 9 days, see tips on how to clean your device
Not many people are aware but scientists have discovered that the coronavirus can also live on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass, or plastic, for up to nine days, as reported by a 2020 study review by German researchers.
An object that suits this profile best, would be ones phone or laptop.
The researchers of that German study, published in the Journal of Hospital Infection, assessed data from 22 studies on human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus, and endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV).
In other words, just as it’s a smart idea to wash your hands frequently, and it will also be necessary for you to disinfect metal, glass, and plastic surfaces frequently.
Here are five tips to help you keep your smartphone clean:
1. Switch your phone off before you clean it and make sure that the charger is also unplugged.
2. Use microfiber cloths when cleaning your device because it can pick up more microscopic particles, including bacteria and viruses.
3. Use rubbing alcohol but remember to dilute it by creating a solution of 60% water and 40% alcohol. Use a small corner of a cloth to gently clean the phone. Immediately use a dry portion of the cloth right afterwards and don’t spray the alcohol directly on the cell phone
4. Avoid using products with ingredients that will affect your phone’s screen coating such as window cleaner, vinegar, and hydrogen peroxide.
5. Remember to keep it clean and be mindful when using it outside your home. Keep it close to you, don’t leave it with just anybody.
Written by: Gabriella Steyn.
Get The Latest News & Specials
You successfully subscribed, thanks!